What is PigTrace?
PigTrace is an industry-led, national swine traceability initiative delivered by the Canadian Pork Council (CPC) and Ontario Pork. Tracking the movements of animals within the supply chain improves emergency response, protects our market access and upholds our food safety quality. It's a proactive measure to ensure protection, prosperity and peace of mind for the Canadian pork industry and its customers.
PigTrace is mandatory by law through the federal Health of Animals Regulations which is enforced by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The CFIA can issue non-compliance letters and fines (up to $50,000) to those who do not comply with the PigTrace requirements.
How to get a PigTrace account:
Registering as an Ontario Pork producer will automatically register you for a PigTrace account and Premises Identification (PID) needed for reporting movements.
Submit a new producer registration form to email@example.com or register by phone at 519-767-4600, ext. 1220.
- IDENTIFY. Pigs are to be identified by using one of these methods:
- For processing: pigs require a 15-digit PigTrace individual ID ear tag, a PigTrace 5-digit herd mark ear tag or a registered 5-digit herd mark tattoo;
- To fairs: pigs require a 15-digit PigTrace individual ID ear tag. Unweaned pigs may be identified with a registered 5-digit herd mark ear tattoo;
- To sales yard or auction: pigs require either a 15-digit PigTrace individual ID ear tag or a PigTrace 5-digit herd mark ear tag;
- Farm-to-farm: all pigs used for breeding must be tagged with a 15-digit PigTrace individual ID ear tag. Non-breeding pigs do not need to be tagged or tattooed.
2. REPORT. All pig movements (from premises-to-premises) must be reported within seven days of shipping or receiving.
For more information on National Identification and Traceability, or to report a movement, visit PigTrace Canada.
Sales of PigTrace tags to Ontario Producers is done through Ontario Pork.
- To purchase tags call 519-767-4600 ext.1220
- Remember to order well in advance as it can take 7 to 10 days for tags to be delivered by mail.
Producers purchasing custom numbered PigTrace or RFID tags should continue to do that directly via the PigTrace website.
- Large tag: $1.10 + tax
- Small tag: $0.87 + tax
- Minimum tag order is 10 tags of one size.
For more information, please contact Member Services Liaison at 519-767-4600 ext. 1220.
If you are reporting movements through AgManifest and the PigTrace website should continue to report online.
Producers submitting reports by email or fax, should send those reports to Ontario Pork using one of the following options:
- Fax to 519-829-1769
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail to 655 Southgate Dr, Guelph, ON N1G 5G6
- Report pig movements directly via telephone by calling 519-767-4600, ext. 1220.
Pig Trace Swine Movement Report Form
Ontario Pork administers this national program within Ontario on behalf of CPC. For further enquiries, please contact Ontario Pork's Industry & Member Services Team: