The Ontario pork industry has a long history of supporting the Ontario Association of Food Banks (OAFB) now Feed Ontario.
As an organization of farmers, we know the importance of food and it is a great way to give back to our communities. The “Donate a Hog” program that was a successful model started by pork producer Paul Mistele in 1998 has been redesigned as Friends of the Food Bank, Ontario Pork Program.
Donate to the Friends of the Food Bank here.
The Friends of the Food Bank program sees Ontario Pork donate $40,000 per year and encourage matching industry donations.. Money raised is used to purchase ground pork distributed to the thousands of families that visit food banks in the province each year.
Donations to Food Banks (to date)
pounds of pork
hunger relief agencies
That helped feed
Ontarians facing hunger
Pork Industry Gratitude Project 2020
(How to Donate)
Coming together in times of crisis
Ontario’s pork industry has a long history of coming together in difficult times to help find a way forward. The current COVID-19 pandemic is no different. Farmers, who like many of us are concerned about our health, families and employees, have banded together to raise funds in support of Ontario Pork’s Friends of the Food Bank program and community-based food giving.
Reductions in processing capacity have created a backlog of hogs in Ontario. At the same time, food banks across the province are struggling with rising demand and declining donations as the pandemic leaves millions without work. On behalf of Ontario pork producers, we invite you to turn these challenges into an opportunity to get fresh pork to families and individuals in need.
Generously supported by Gold Sponsors South West Ontario Veterinary Services and Purina (Cargill)
The fundraising goal for this initiative is $100,000, which the Perth association hopes to raise through contributions from producers, associations, Ontario Pork and industry. This includes:
- $36,000 to provide plant-approved box lunches to workers at Ontario’s three largest processing facilities (Conestoga, Sofina, Domingo’s)
- $64,000 to maximize Feed Ontario food bank donations and provide support for local associations to support community-based giving that falls outside of the Feed Ontario umbrella.
Supported by Silver Sponsors Farmer's Farmacy, Grand Valley Fortifiers, Synergy Swine Inc., Schlegel Home Farms, Floradale Feed Mill, and Sharpe Farm Supplies.
Breakdown of the opportunity through Feed Ontario:
- 1 pound of fresh ground pork = 6 servings of protein
- Feed Ontario weekly capacity for fresh ground pork = 10,000 lbs/ 60,000 servings
- Approximate cost of 1 lb of fresh ground pork = $2.50
How it works:
Ontario Pork will coordinate donations of up to 10,000 lbs of fresh ground pork per week, based on available funding.
Community-based food giving
Many rural Ontario communities have food giving programs that may not fall under the umbrella of Feed Ontario. Recognizing this, some of the funds raised through this initiative will be made available to local associations to support community-based food giving. Food program capacity will vary by area, but the cost and impact remains the roughly the same: $2.50 provides six servings of fresh, ground pork for individuals and families in need.
Gold level = $10,000 which would feed 24,000 people through food banks here in Ontario
- Pork Chop BBQ for up to 200 people. (Available when large gatherings are allowed again.)
- Your Logo and organization name featured in an exclusive video developed by Ontario Pork’s digital marketing staff and shared on Ontario Pork’s Social Media channels
- Your Logo and organization shared as Gold sponsors on Ontario Pork’s Giving Back webpage
Silver Level = $5,000 which would feed 12,000 people through food banks here in Ontario
- Your logo featured on its own frame in video content developed by Ontario Pork’s digital marketing staff and shared on Ontario Pork’s social media channels
- Your logo and organization Identified as Silver sponsors on Ontario Pork’s Giving Back webpage
Bronze Level = $1,000 which would feed 2,400 people through food banks here in Ontario
- Your logo included in video content developed by Ontario Pork’s digital marketing staff and shared on Ontario Pork’s social media channels
- Your logo and organization identified as Bronze sponsors on Ontario Pork’s Giving Back webpage
All other donations
- Your organization named and thanked as a sponsor on Ontario Pork’s Giving Back webpage
For more information or to donate
- John Nyenhuis, Perth County Pork Producers’ Association at 519-301-9009
- Stewart Skinner, Perth County Pork Producers’ Association at 519-492-2990
- Julie Kuiack, Manager, Communications and Consumer Marketing at 226 332 6459 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marsha Chambers, Wallenstein Feed and Supply, 519-868-7960, MarshaChambers@wfs.ca
Cheques should be made out to Ontario Pork with a note stating that they are for the Pork Industry Gratitude Project. Mail donations to Ontario Pork, 655 Southgate Dr., Guelph, ON, N1G 5G6.
To transfer funds electronically, contact email@example.com
Thank you for your support of this initiative, which will help reduce food waste, get healthy protein to people who need it, and highlight the pork industry’s spirit of compassion and resilience.
Supporting Organizations (to date)
- Ontario Pork
- Perth County Pork Producers' Association
- Oxford County Pork Producers' Association
- Kawartha Lakes Pork Producers' Association
- Grey-Bruce Pork Producers' Association
- Lambton Pork Producers' Association
- Niagara Pork Producers’ Association
- Wellington-Dufferin Pork Producers' Association
- Bloxslea Farms
- Larry and Nancy Skinner